MOISTURE CONTROL + CRAWLSPACE
Left untreated, moisture can wreak havoc on a house. Crawlspace construction is a popular practice in many areas of the country. However, one of the inherent problems with it is the control of moisture under the house. Moisture can contribute to conditions that can lead to a number of problems – some with more serious and expensive consequences, including:
• Warped wood that can cause floors to buckle and squeak
• Mold and Mildew
• Wet insulation that loses it’s R-value
• An irritating musty smell
• The growth of spores and fungus
• Creating an environment attractive to termites
HOW TO CONTROL MOISTURE IN BASEMENT?
A moisture meter should be used to measure the moisture content of the wood in the crawlspace. When high moisture exists in crawlspaces, it can support the growth of fungus and mold. A reading of 20% or higher can support the growth of wood decay fungi, which deteriorates and weakens the wood. A reading at of this level signals that there is a moisture problem and corrective action should be taken.
Option 1: Ventilation / Moisture Barrier
Option 2: Encapsulation
BARRIERS WE OFFER
FinishShield™ is a 16mm cross-laminated vapor barrier that is fire retardant. It is the most economical vapor barrier and perfect if customers are going to install finished basement walls. Protects against moisture, mold, mildew, humidity, and potential wall leaks.
HD FinishShield™ is a 14mm, fire retardant wall vapor barrier. Recommended as a durable wall covering. It is perfect for basement walls where a customer may not finish right away, but would like the protection against moisture, mold, mildew, humidity, and potential wall leaks.
ThermalShield™ is a foil faced wall vapor barrier that has double layers of bubbles and true white poly wall vapor barrier on the back. It is the wall vapor barrier of choice for adding additional insulation reflecting indoor heat back into the basement space. Save energy and protect against moisture, mold, mildew, humidity, and potential wall leaks.
The Santa Fe™ Dehumidifiers is a basement dehumidification system that helps turn your basement space into living space. The American Lung Association, American Medical Association, and the EPA recommend maintaining the relative humidity level in the 30% – 50% range. Ventilation and air conditioning alone cannot provide the protection offered by a high capacity dehumidifier like the Santa Fe™ Classic and other Santa Fe™ dehumidifier product line.
CrawlShield™ will prevent crawl space moisture from rising into the home or building and the following as well:
- Inhibits the migration of moisture and soil gas (radon).
- Greatly reduces condensation, mold growth, and poor air quality within a home or building.
- Crawl space can be used for storage, due to high strength of CrawlShield™.
- CrawlShield™ gives a crawlspace a bright clean look.
- CrawlShield™ is absolutely the best product on the market for a crawl space application.
- Professional installations of CrawlShield™ in about one day!