Whether you call them hornets, Yellow Jackets or Mud Daubers, they’re all wasps. There are 20,000 species of wasps, but most people are only familiar with social wasps like hornets and Yellow Jackets. A social wasp nest can hold up to 10,000 individuals at its peak. While they do help to control the population of other garden pests, they don’t share the positive honey-producing and pollinating qualities of the common honeybee.
HOW TO GET RID OF WASPS?
Unlike bees, wasps can sting multiple times. When provoked or threatened, wasps become very aggressive and will swarm. Never try to remove a swarm or hive yourself. Swarms are dangerous and require proper equipment. If a wasp is swatted at or someone has been stung near their nest, it is advised to vacate the area. When a wasp stings, it releases a venom containing a pheromone that triggers aggression in nearby wasps.
MOST COMMON DISEASES SPREAD BY WASPS:
Wasp stings can cause very serious symptoms and illness associated with allergic reactions and hypersensitivity to wasp venom. Perhaps the most recognized reactions are seen when a wasp stings a person, particularly children, who are hypersensitive to the wasp’s venom. This may result in serious, maybe even life-threatening conditions. These stings generally create lesions and may also involve intense pain, swelling, itching, and potential of anaphylaxis, a life-threatening reaction that causes shock. Secondary infections to stings can occur if the bites and stings are not kept clean and properly disinfected.
- The most effective prevention is not trying to attract wasps. They are attracted to anything sugary
- Fruit juice, fallen fruit beneath trees and other sweet food sources will attract wasps.
- Be careful with foods, especially soda cans
Variable, depending on size and location of the nest. Call us for a free, no obligation quote.
WHY ADDRESS THE PROBLEM:
Wasp can sting more than once. Wasp will become aggressive if they feel threatened. While one sting may not be life threatening, multiple stings can send your body into a state of shock and cause an extreme, often life-threatening allergic reaction to an antigen to which the body has become hypersensitive to. This is called an anaphylactic shock.